What other MMOs and multi-player games do you play?

For discussion of UDM-spinoff guilds in other MMOs. VISIBILITY: Public
Ardeshir
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

Re: What other MMOs and multi-player games do you play?

Post by Ardeshir » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:26 pm

haven't played more than handful of matches of The Culling but it is an entertaining little game. Enough entertainment to purchase now but there is a lot of potential for the game.
0 x

Bregdark
General
General

Post by Bregdark » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:01 pm

Bone Lotus wrote:Personally, there's little I hate more than modern military shooter mechanics, aesthetics, and themes.
Cosign. Modern military games make me queasy.
1 x

Conn
General
General

Post by Conn » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:09 pm

Poor kids and your weak stomachs. ;)
0 x

Bladebreaker
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Bladebreaker » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:03 pm

I will say that playing an MMO set in a pseudo-realistic post-viral apocalypse New York is challenging my gameplay sensibilities. Stuff that I take for granted in other games makes me very uncomfortable in The Division.

For example, in WoW Bladebreaker regularly slaughters entire villages of creatures that have been tagged as enemies without blinking an eye. The carnage in Winterspring Furbolg villages.... he was a one-Tauren genocidal machine, mercilessly killing them by the hundreds, just to make a different tribe of Furbolgs like him more. This never really gave me much pause. Because they're furbolgs. In a fantasy world. So who the fuck cares.

Now to the Division. They never really dwell on the specifics, but you seem to be in possession of a scanner of some sort that identifies friend from foe. So I walk along the ravaged streets of New York, and 50 yards away I see two guys in hoodies going through the possessions of some person on the street. I didn't see them commit a crime, but my HUD marks their health bars as red, so I shoot them both down. Two clean headshots and they're both dead before either of them has a chance to draw a gun.

This makes me uncomfortable. I probably should feel similarly uncomfortable about lots of things I'm doing in almost all of the games that I play, but this one, thanks to its pseudo-realism, makes me feel kinda of... eh.

On the other hand it's pretty fun. I like the gameplay a lot, I like the base building aspect of it all, and the settings are all rendered really well. A shooter RPG, sign me up... someone make a Mass Effect universe MMO please. But this does make me feel a bit... off.
1 x

Conn
General
General

Post by Conn » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:31 pm

Just wait until they make a realistic The Purge game. That should kill about every bit of your conscience pretty quick.
0 x

Cal
Centurion
Centurion

Post by Cal » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:32 pm

I can never really keep up with all the games you guys play, but are all of these PC or are people playing consoles also.

Blade, if you have an xbox or playstation, you would probably enjoy Destiny.
0 x

Bladebreaker
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Bladebreaker » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:14 pm

I pretty much only game on PC. I do have an Xbox, but I've just never been able to get into console games as much. Destiny definitely seemed like something I'd like, but the fact that I'd have to crawl out of my comfy man-cave and go play in the living room makes me avoid it. ;-)
0 x

Bone Lotus
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

Post by Bone Lotus » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:33 am

It's not that I have a weak stomach for modern military shooters. I just find them detestable at best when it comes to theme and mechanics. I find them dull, unimaginative, uninspired, and typically they are made to appeal to the lowest and simplest of minds (in my opinion). That's not to say there aren't exceptions to this. On rare occasion, I have seen games that fall vaguely into that category that hold some appeal (Spec Ops: The Line has a brilliant story). Further, The Division holds a great deal of promise in terms of breaking away from the tired, lazy writing that plagues most modern military games.

As such, I think I would definitely recommend Division to anyone who doesn't mind Rainbow Six style game play with MMO aspects built in. Personally, I hated Rainbow Six, so I couldn't stand playing Division for longer than an hour.

As for Destiny, I have that on PS4, and am always looking for people to play it with.
0 x

Cal
Centurion
Centurion

Post by Cal » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:29 pm

Bone Lotus wrote:As for Destiny, I have that on PS4, and am always looking for people to play it with.
Bummer. I play Xbox One. Would really like to find more who play. I think I would enjoy and play more if I knew more who played.
0 x

Conn
General
General

Post by Conn » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:36 pm

<--- Proud owner of a lowest and simplest mind.

It's probably the reason I love Overwatch so much. Mindless killing, with monkey!
0 x