Hearthstone Un'Goro expansion

For discussion of UDM-spinoff guilds in other MMOs. VISIBILITY: Public
Bregdark
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Hearthstone Un'Goro expansion

Post by Bregdark » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:02 pm

I'm still playing Hearthstone -- good for an occasional quick game in between meetings or whatever.

I think the quest mechanics introduced are interesting.

I am really flabbergasted at the Rogue quest, though. I know it's not foolproof -- it's a bit slow to get started, and I've seen some Rogues mishandle the combo. The best ever was when one Rogue I was facing had a full hand at the point the quest criteria was fulfilled, so the Crystal Cavern spell was discarded. Hah!

Just in terms of its power level and ease of completion, the Rogue quest is SOOO much more powerful than the rest.

Anyone else playing? What decks are you using? I'm mainly a homegrown Pirate Warrior variant and a homegrown mind control Priest currently, but occasionally a midrange Hunter or Pally deck for quests and such.
0 x

Bladebreaker
Warlord
Warlord

Re: Hearthstone Un'Goro expansion

Post by Bladebreaker » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:50 pm

Quest rogue is a funny one. It is absolutely brutal for anything slow, but midrange hunter and pirate warrior can often just explode it. It's funny that the non-quest midrange hunter is actually significantly better than the quest hunter, even with virtually no cards from the new set other than the two-drop that gives a minion adapt. I think one of the keys is just making sure you're getting a lot of face damage on the rogue, because Quest Rogue has no healing, and only a limited amount of removal or taunts.

The frustrating part about Quest Rogue is that if you DON'T get that early face damage, it is just monstrous, and feels very non-interactive. There's very little you can do to stop it, other than a lucky dirty rat pulling out one of their crucial minons. It's also waaaay stronger than any other class quest... heck, the only other class quests that seems viable right now are mage and warrior. Taunt warrior is everywhere and also feels pretty bad, but at least it's slower so you feel like you have some time to do stuff.

I've been playing some quest rogue (I crafted the quest) but actually I've been having more fun with a miracle/petal rogue using Sharazin, the plant that you can respawn. It's a little better able to handle hunters than the quest rogue, though it you don't get your combo pieces it can feel pretty bad, and taunt warrior is a pain in the ass.

I'm also playing a token shaman that's just built around flooding the board and working toward a good bloodlust turn, and a secret mage that's based around control and then burning face. I'd like to work up a purify priest but I'm missing one of those 4/8 plants that can't attack.

I actually got the druid quest in the first packs I opened... but as soon as I started running into Quest Rogue every three games, I stopped playing it, because it's basically 100% loss rate to quest rogues, and that feels bad.

EDIT: Out of curiosity, I fired up my Quest Rogue, and promptly lost 2 out of 3 games. One loss to a midrange hunter who just ran me over, and one loss to an elemental priest who got out a chain of divine spirit/inner fire buffs by turn 3 and murdered me with a 9/9 minion over the next couple of turns. I almost turned it around. Quest Rogue is definitely beatable. My win was against a miracle rogue, ironically enough.
0 x

Panamone
Blood Guard
Blood Guard

Post by Panamone » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:46 pm

I haven't gotten any quests yet, but I may be crafting the Druid one or the Warrior one. Both seem fun to play! I haven't had a whole ton of experience vs. Quest Rogue yet, but I have been hearing similar frustrations from others.

One card I do have that I've enjoyed a lot though is Living Mana, which turns all your mana crystals into 2/2 minions. I'm not sure if it's a "good" card, it seems to be very punishable, but it's so much fun when something works with it : ) It's also been fun to experiment and see what other things interact with it and how. For example, Innervate does NOT gain you two extra minions.
0 x

Ribcrack
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Ribcrack » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:55 am

I ONLY PLAY ARENA SO HERE IS THE ARENA TAKE:

things've improved! I no longer remember how to play and I have to re-evaluate cards based on new cards and that's a good thing. Secrets are a viable deck build path for mages, elementals are a viable path for shamans and mages, meteor is a dumb card, and arena is in general less tempo-reliant. Which makes it even more frustrating when someone goes first and goes 1-2-3-4-5-6 on you and wrecks your day. However, that happens less often thanks to there being less occurrence of the good one and two drops.

Mages seem to be dominating arena at the moment, but there's viable card builds in paladin, shaman, hunter, warlock, and even priest right now. Rogues... are less powerful than they've been, and warriors and druids are godawful, but that's hardly new.

The new cards that are most impactful that you have to watch out for are:
Mage: Holy shit meteor. METEOR. Against a mage, be sure to position your board such that the highest health minions are at either end to minimise collateral damage. Mana bind is a secret that comes out a lot, so try to give them a spell that sucks if you possibly can!
Warlock: Basically got nothing new that's good in un'goro so just watch out for hellfire effects. Corrupting mist is surprising but you can usually play around it just by going heavy face, as always.
Priest: Binding heal is surprisingly powerful, and Free from Amber being so common means that if the priest makes it into lategame without being utterly wrecked, you're usually going to lose to them. Fight for board state and tempo HARD
Shaman: Don't overcommit into volcano, as it kills most boards handily and it's only a rare (so comes up a lot). Mana surge is nice but not amazing. Shaman elemental theme can definitely be a thing, so watch out for turn 7 blazecaller.
Rogue: Eh, nothing new really. Getting highrolled by a tempo rogue deck that draws perfectly is still one of the most unfair things, but it doesn't happen as often.
Druid: Hahahahahahahaha. Seriously, though, they'll generally win the late game unless they're against a warlock or priest, but they lose the early game hard thanks to having a bunch of their new cards being awful.
Hunter: A few of the new hunter cards, especially the 3/3 for three that activates deathrattles, are quite powerful. Kill off any deathrattles if you can afford to for this exact reason.
Paladin: Nothing you can't see coming, really, though save some board clears for later if you can thanks to vinecleaver being a thing. Vinecleaver is soooo much value.
Warrior: Lol.

I TYPED THE WORDS
0 x

Bladebreaker
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Bladebreaker » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:38 am

I just had a really nice paladin run thanks in part to Vinecleaver + the adapty stegadon thing that adapts all your recruits. Also Spiked Steed is pretty handy.

I generally suck at Arena though, I think I'm averaging 3 wins.
0 x

Bregdark
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Bregdark » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:48 pm

OMG they actually are going to nerf Quest Rogue!

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/hearths ... 0757246514
0 x

Bladebreaker
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Bladebreaker » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:20 pm

Wow. It's funny really, because Quest Rogue isn't really the best deck out there any more. But the problem is, it's very rock-paper-scissors; it is completely unbeatable by any decks that are remotely control-oriented, but it falls pretty handily to aggro decks. As such, it's had a big impact on the meta, forcing an aggro-heavy composition, because if you ran control you would get facerolled by rogue.

Well good on em! I wonder if that's going to kill it, or if it will stick around?
1 x