Overwatch Stress Test "Weekend" (4/15-4/16)

For discussion of UDM-spinoff guilds in other MMOs. VISIBILITY: Public
Bladebreaker
Warlord
Warlord

Overwatch Stress Test "Weekend" (4/15-4/16)

Post by Bladebreaker » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:58 pm

This isn't an MMO, but I thought I'd put it out here anyway as a starter for Overwatch related stuff.

I'm in this weekend, and I'll likely be manipulating my schedule to fit in a fair bit of playtime. I'll definitely be on tonight, but probably not until sometime after 9pm PST.

Also, my kids are DESPERATE to play this game, so if you see me playing Overwatch but not responding to tells, there's a decent chance that one of them is on my account. I know, I know... it's risky to expose them to so much Tracerbutt.
1 x

Faelin
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Re: Overwatch Stress Test "Weekend" (4/15-4/16)

Post by Faelin » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:27 pm

It looks like the stress test is only until Saturday at 9pm. You would think they would at least give the entire weekend. :\
0 x

Conn
General
General

Post by Conn » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:29 pm

Just remember to turn off the voice chat (if they can't hear things like Silf, Kaylia, and I talking at 11PM about 'stuff') when they're playing.

I'll definitely be on quite a bit. Because reasons.
0 x

Bladebreaker
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Bladebreaker » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:33 pm

Oh, ugh, they have voice chat turned on as a default? I hate that. I'll be sure to fix it, though they've been playing it with minimal supervision today already. So I might have some new words to explain later.
0 x

Conn
General
General

Post by Conn » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:55 am

Hahahahaha

I normally hate the idea too, but in this game (like a few other communication within a team FPSs) it's almost a requirement to at least have voice chat turned on. You can get by without speaking (though it can be detrimental in competitive, since knowing Widowmaker's location .5 seconds sooner could save a game), but being able to at least hear seems to be mandatory.
0 x

Bladebreaker
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Bladebreaker » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:49 pm

Yeah... I get that, and this is a game that requires coordination and such. I will say that I kind of miss the days of just queueing into mayhem in Unreal Tournament without feeling like we had to be "competitive". You just played and tried to kill a lot of stuff. With this I feel like I'm always in tryhard mode. ESPORTS!
0 x

Faelin
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by Faelin » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:07 pm

I actually got a little nauseous queuing for my first match because I've seen how competitive it's been with Jordan playing. I hate that crap, I just want to kill things horribly and have fun.
0 x

Bladebreaker
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Bladebreaker » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:49 pm

Yeah. At this point, I feel like:

A) I'm terrible at the game, and
B) I'm not going to get any better.

Combined with the level of the opponents I'm facing, at the moment it's pretty quickly squashing my desire to play.

I'll edit to say that I'm hopeful that it will get better. Once competitive play is a thing, maybe more of the tryhards will end up there and fewer in quickmatch. Also matchmaking may help. We'll see.

I'll also edit to say: it's not like I'm surprised. I've never been better than a mediocre FPS player. Still, the characters are so interesting and it's such a pretty game, it'll be too bad if I can't find my version of fun in it.
0 x

Faelin
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by Faelin » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:07 pm

I'm hoping that with the release of the game, all the people that have been playing for the past 3-5 months and are level 125+ will be wiped back to zero with everyone else. So at least there is an appearance of a level playing field (despite them all knowing the characters inside and out already).
0 x

Conn
General
General

Post by Conn » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:26 pm

I'd like to make some key points, because I have a feeling this stress test is going to destroy a lot of folks wanting to play for real.

1. There are only 3 maps available while the stress test is going on. For the folks who are just getting in to the beta for the test itself, that means you're stuck banging your head on a few maps instead of actually getting to see everything. For those of us who were fortunate enough to get in earlier, it means our eyes are beginning to bleed playing only the same maps; even on competitive. That makes you start auto-piloting a bit, then you die to avoidable things. Then you lose. Then you get pissed. Then you do more of the same until you're ready to start cussing out your team. It literally just happened to the group I've been playing with for a month or so, and myself. We had to quit for a night just so we don't start foaming at the mouth.

2. This weekend none of us are playing with Overwatch customers. We're playing with folks who will never buy the game, and just want to see if it's like TF2 or CoD, or any of the already toxic FPS games out there. That means a lot more mean shit being said in chat, over voice, etc. A LOT of these people will go away for the real game.

3. And this one's actually a response to BB's post instead of just things that I'm dealing with and am trying to generalize: We're not young. It's one of those obvious things that doesn't normally impact gaming, except in FPS type games. Slower reaction times, refusing to use aimbots (which we actually caught a stress test introduced person doing today... fucking tool), etc. It's going to take a bit to get a feel for the characters. Hell, I started the beta in November or whenever it came out in 2015, tried a few games and thought it was horrible, then quit. I felt like I just couldn't get the hang of it. This time around something clicked, mainly because I stuck with it long enough to learn the maps, actually read what my abilities were, and played in the practice range and against A.I. a few times. Believe me, it helped a lot.

The quick play through the bulk of this beta has been pretty good in terms of not being too crazy. With the competitive mode officially out now, quick play is even more social instead of housing all the "omg u missed that shot!?" people. This is just a really bad weekend since there are so many people who get a chance to see it; the community that's been building kind of got steamrolled until Sunday.

Honestly, my only real advice would be to try it out again either once it's out, or during the "you bought the game so come on in" beta a few days before. I think you'll like a lot more if you can wipe the bad taste of stress test toxicity out of your mouth from this weekend.

Sorry, I really didn't mean to wall of text.
0 x