Greetings From Sapporo!

General discussion forum for both Umbral Advent members and non-members. VISIBILITY: Public
Kunikiko
Centurion
Centurion

Greetings From Sapporo!

Post by Kunikiko » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:37 am

Hey Umbrals!

So I arrived in Japan on the 23rd and I just started my training for my new job. It's been a real blast bumming around this great city the last few days. Some of you may have been following my adventures on Facebook, but I wanted to check in here and let y'all know I ain't dead yet.

So far I've had some great local craft beer (the big brands are pretty shit but the local craft scene is really starting to take off), sampled some great food, and made awesome friends with the other teachers in training. I won't lie, even now I'm experiencing some anxiety and trepidation about this whole experience but I'm so caught up in a whirlwind of new experiences that I really haven't had time to let it bother me. I expect at some point I'll curl up into a ball and cry once I've been placed in my permanent teaching assignment. But hey, I'll have internet once I arrive so maybe I'll hop on Vent when I have my meltdown!

I'm currently staying in Sapporo, Hokkaido. It snowed the first two days I was here, but it's been sunny the last two days. More snow is expected but Winter here it's starting to wane and turn to the cold pre-Spring weather that will yield more rain. I'll be moving to my permanent residence in Enbetsu-cho, Teshio-gun, around the 5th of April. Fortunately, despite being literally in the middle of nowhere, I'll have internet access when I arrive and most of my computer so I should be able to start properly sharing my adventure.

For now, if anyone wants to see what I'm getting up to I've been posting a lot of pictures over on Instagram @Rekrabgrimm.

https://instagram.com/p/BSGC5oQANOQ/
6 x

Cal
Centurion
Centurion

Re: Greetings From Sapporo!

Post by Cal » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:51 am

What an amazing adventure! Thanks for the update and hope you enjoy every minute of it.
0 x

Ottoparts
Centurion
Centurion

Post by Ottoparts » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:36 am

Sounds pretty exciting and new, spring here in Colorado is just warm with green grass. Be well and enjoy the beer :)
0 x

Kunikiko
Centurion
Centurion

Post by Kunikiko » Thu May 04, 2017 5:42 pm

https://instagram.com/p/BS74JxVAXFl/
So it's been a month since I moved to my little town in the coast. I still don't have my computer up and running because it's been a bit more expensive to furnish my new apartment than I expected. But, by the end of this month I should have my computer and the rest of my furniture.

So far everything has been great. I teach at all the schools in my town, from kindergarten to high school. The teachers are all very friendly and helpful. My first week here my elementary school teachers took me out for a beginning of the year drinking party. I got completely blitzed, and ended up doing karaoke versions of great songs like Creep by Radiohead and Anarchy in the UK by the Sex Pistols. Fortunately it didn't seem to effect their impression of me.

The kids are great too, they're not very excited to learn English but when they see me they get excited and they want to try and talk to me. The other day I went out for a walk, hoping to take some photos, and a group of kids from the elementary school ended up spotting me and dragged me to the playground to pay with them instead. Back in the states I'd be really nervous about paying with a bunch of unattended kids but here the kids are all pretty independent and there's no "All men that play with kids are pedophiles" mentality. A couple moms came through and I chatted with them a bit, they were really surprised that I'd want to live here instead of Los Angeles.

Driving here is awful. I got used to driving on the left without any real problem, although I still occasionally turn on the wipers instead of the blinkers when I want to signal a left turn. The real problem is the speed limits; they're so slow! I had to drive to the closest big town to get my visa updated and the speed limit on the highway was 40kph insome places! Weirdly though, everyone here drives super fast and only slows down for the speed cameras. But the landscape here it's beautiful so it's a pleasant drive.
https://instagram.com/p/BSkIRkJAszo/
Oh, and then there's my car. My company set me up with a leased car. It's a Suzuki Every. 660cc motor, 4 wheel drive, and the aerodynamics of a brick. It's hilariously small, but the interior dimensions are enormous. When I moved here I bought a medium sized fridge and a washing machine, both fit in the back with plenty of room to spare.

https://instagram.com/p/BSicw-7gZHX/

So, my computer is still not set up. I brought everything over except the keyboard, power supply, case, and monitor since they were heaviest age most unwieldy parts. Unfortunately I haven't been able to replace them all yet. Computer parts here all command a ridiculous premium. Everything is at least 20% over US MSRP and some are much higher. And that's assuming I can find the parts, a lot of the enthusiast brands from the states don't have much presence here so they're hard to find or even more expensive. That's why I still don't have my computer setup. But by the end of the month I should have the money to go wild on Amazon.co.jp and get everything put back together.

Until then, I'm fumbling my way around with Hearthstone to ease my Blizzard withdrawals. Hopefully I'll be back at it soon!
3 x

Ribcrack
Champion
Champion

Post by Ribcrack » Thu May 04, 2017 6:44 pm

looks amazing, dude! Beautiful place by the seaside :D
0 x

Bregdark
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Bregdark » Fri May 05, 2017 10:57 am

Awesome pictures, and great to get the update -- we miss you in-game but I'm glad it's working out.

That car is hilarious. I guess if you only drive 40 kmph on the freeways it doesn't need to handle well...
0 x

Kunikiko
Centurion
Centurion

Post by Kunikiko » Fri May 05, 2017 4:16 pm

I've gotten it up to 80kph on some of the bigger highways where the limits aren't so low, it's capable of doing more, it just gets really loud and squirrelly the closer I get to 100kph so I try not to.
0 x